Ok so nobody likes being in the cold no matter how nice the place you are in is or how much you feel you should be having fun. Experiencing my first winter in New York has been no joke – I have feared leaving the house because breathing the air physically hurts! Here’s a list of my favourite indoor activities in NYC to do whether you’re on vacation or looking for weekend ideas to escape the FREEZE!
1. Knicks basketball game at Madison Square Garden – this is one of my FAVOURITE activities to do in the city. I live pretty close to Madison Square Garden so it’s really handy for me too. I literally wish basketball season was all year round so I could bring me parents to a game when they visit in the summer. They would love it! It’s such an entertaining afternoon from cheerleaders, to half time music, to the naughty snacks!
2. Grab a Broadway Show: broadway and off broadway has so much choice & is a very entertaining evening. Whether you are looking for a mid week treat or a weekend matinee it’s easy enough to grab last minute deals for Broadway. Also Broadway Week lasts from January 16th to February 4th where you can tickets 2 for the price of 1. I’m dying to get to my favourite childhood movie The Lion King & recently saw The Book of Morman… it was pee in your pants funny!
3. Restaurant week – this is a great excuse to sample some of the hundreds of great restaurants New York has to offer without spending a fortune. Restaurant Week lasts from January 22nd -February 9th (so its more like 3 weeks but who’s complaining) You can get a 3 course meal for $42! It includes some of my faves like Nobu, Acme & Lafayette.
4. Ice skating in Central Park – ok this is not indoors but thought it was worth adding in. I personally hate ice skating as literally cannot skate to save my life, but I’m in love with the idea of this, therefore it makes the list. The Woolman rink in Central Park is by far the most picturesque & dreamy.
5. Fondue Night – anyone else just love cheese? Well this activity is right up your alley & something a little different. Hit up Taurnua in Soho for a gorgeous range of cheese fondus with bread & veggies. Plus it’s BYOB.
6. Carnegie hall – this is for the culture vultures! I went to the orchestra lately in Carnegie Hall & it was such a lovely relaxing experience. It’s not something I’d be rushing to do every weekend, but I like to go at least once during the winter months to soak up the experience of such an iconic New York landmark.
7. Ballet at the Lincoln Centre- with The Nutcracker running until January & Romeo & Juilet playing in February its the perfect time to experience the New York City Ballet.
8. Sunday night bingo at The Standard: when you’re feeling a bit frisky, grab the girls & head for a few cocktails to dust off those winter cobwebs. This rowdy Dj-ed event has weekly themes, oversized bowl cocktails & three rounds of bingo.
9. Afternoon Tea – lets be real here, eating fancy dessert is one of my favourite ways to kill an afternoon. I’ve been to a couple of great spots in the city such as The Whitby Hotel and The Plaza Hotel (which is an INCREDIBLE experience for a special occasion but be aware that it’s a punchy $95!). Other spots on my to-go-to list include The Williamsburg Hotel and Lady Mendl’s Tea Room.
10. Museums: check out the dinosaurs at the American Museum of Natural History or hang out with the mummy’s at the world famous Metropolitan Museum of Art. One of my fave things to do it’s to walk the Highline, grab brunch in the Standard Grill & check out the Whitney Museum of American Art afterwards. Put it on your to do list for one of the milder days in the Meatpacking District.